Tuesday, October 25, 2005

not for the faint of heart

Within the past three days I have come to realize that many things should come with a warning label, advising the user that it is not for those faint of heart. For example, any race including the word "extreme." This past Sunday, I participated in an "extreme race." It was a group event, not judged on speed, but rather, on the ability to act as a team. It included a 5k run, 4.5k walk, 2k walk through a river, and climbing 2 hills, 200m in height. It sounded like fun, so I did it. At the beginning of the race, I found myself thinking about the possibility of injuries. In my mind, I could envision myself getting hurt and having this unjury somehow pull the team together. In a way, I got my wish. To make a long story short, the event was extremely fun, but I came away from it slightly banged up. I rolled my ankle within the first kilometer of the race, hit the sore ankle on a rock in the river, then fell 5 meters down the hill at the end. Yes, I ended up with a few scratches and bruises, but my injuries did seem to bring my team together. As we ran, the kids would remind each other to slow down if I was at the back of the group, and after my fall down the hill, one of the boys in my group took my backpack from me and carried it. He didn´t ask if I wanted him to carry it, he just did it.
The next day, I encountered another activity not for the faint of heart: making gluton. I have never made gluton, though I have heard horror stories. I discovered that they are all true. For those of you who have never had the privilege of making gluton, it involves a lot of rinsing the dough in water. Really, it´s not all that bad, but when compared to making any other dish, such as rice or bread, it is very time-consuming.
Another thing not for the faint of heart is internet blogging. In a recent conversation with my parents, they called to my attention to the fact that my blog may sound a bit whiny, and that my most recent entry detailed events that the common public need not know about. For this, I apologize. I don´t intend to whine. For some reason, the fist thing that enters my mind to write about are the difficulties I encounter. When I feel the need to inform others of these difficulties, I don´t feel it is sufficient to give vague ideas of what my problems are like. I am a detail person, so I feel a need to relate all of the nitty-gritty details. Unfortunately, there are times when I must censor my ever-flowing commentary on the ironic comedy of life. Furthermore, I do not wish for my writings to reflect an opinion that the administration of this establishment is inadequate or at fault for problems that I encounter. If I have implied that in any way, shape, or form, I apologize. Our new directors are working hard to get into the swing of life here at the Hogar, and many things are getting better. There are also plans in the making to improve many other things. I am encouraged by their presence and touched by their kindness.
I am reminded daily of God´s presence here, and I thank you all for your prayers.

2 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dear Brittany!....Do not spare one little morbid or sordid feeling or event! I love to get the real flavor of your experience :) Anyway, it helps me know how to pray for you! Which I do! Love you LOTS and can't wait for the book you will write when you are "released". Grandma Eunice

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your Grandma. I want to hear all about your events and don't hold back. I hope that you are having a fabulous time in El Salvador. It sounded from the sound clips that you were having a great time. Keep up the wonderful job of informing us what's going on in your life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home